Spring Recess Message
Thursday, April 1st, 2021—A message from your superintendent:
Hello SANY Families,
Just last week we welcomed the first day of spring, and in true Central New York fashion, we know that there is still a chance of snow in the forecast. However, the thought of snow certainly won’t stop us from enjoying our much needed rest and relaxation during the upcoming Spring Recess.
As we know, Spring Recess mentally reminds us all that we are in fact in the ‘home stretch’ of the school year with one marking period left. Many of our Senior Atoms are anxiously awaiting to receive their acceptance letters from colleges and universities both near and far, as we all prepare for their graduation ceremony in June.
It’s at this moment in time, where we watch the planted seeds of academic drive and thirst for knowledge bloom in the spring and blossom in the summer at graduation. While this year, many if not all of us have withered a tumultuous storm with a global pandemic, we all have found ways to overcome and adapt herculean obstacles that no one could have predicted.
Students, families, faculty and staff continue to amaze me each and every day at how we as a SANY community have come together to not only help one another but the greater Syracuse and Utica communities, as well. In addition, students continued to find ways to achieve academic success despite a global pandemic which speaks volumes to their dedication and commitment to their education.
Below are just a few of the many examples that I wanted to highlight, and share with you. If you have not yet viewed these incredible stories, I urge you to visit.
- Throughout the month of February, the students at Syracuse Academy of Science and Citizenship hosted a Band-Aid drive collecting over 4,500 children’s Band-Aids which were donated to Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital
- Utica Academy of Science High School’s National Honor Society hosted a Kindness Challenge in February. Students were tasked with demonstrating acts of kindness both big and small as this can make an impact on others and yourself. The Kindness Challenge has been recognized by Assemblywoman Buttenschon, who presented a proclamation for Utica Academy of Science High School.
- SAS High School students Yakina Sika-Amoah and Theodore Simon won many awards and prizes at the MOST’s CNY Science and Engineering Fair for their project which is a robot developed to clean up coastlines. Yakina and Theodre will also be advancing to the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair in 2021!
In closing, I want to wish everyone a happy, safe and restful Spring Recess. We look forward to seeing you on Monday, April 12, 2021 as we get ready to begin that ‘home stretch’ of the school year.
Dr. Tolga Hayali
Spring Recess Meal Pick Up Announcement
Tuesday, March 30th, 2021—SANY in collaboration with Chartwells has developed a [contactless drive through] meal service that will allow students greater access to food while at home. Please note, there will be NO meal pick ups during Spring Recess; however, there will be meal pick ups PRIOR to Spring Recess, dates are below.
Meal Pick up Dates
- 3/30 meal pick up will be available and participants will receive three days worth of meals
Pick up Locations and Times
- UAS Middle School – 3/30 and 4/1 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Read Across America
Tuesday, March 2nd, 2021—“You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a good book!” - Dr. Seuss. Today is National Read Across America Day, and Dr. Seuss’ birthday. In honor of this national event, below are some ideas of ways you too can celebrate.
- Read a book you've been meaning to read.
- Join your library.
- Read with your Atom.
- Read a book you've read before - you might discover that it has NEW meaning to you since you read it last.
- Have your Atom read a story aloud to you (or your pet). Reading aloud strengthens their vocabulary and language skills and it also creates an opportunity for discussion.
We hope you all have a wonderful National Read Across America Day (and Dr. Seuss Day)!
Black History Month Art Activity
Monday, February 22nd, 2021—Utica Academy of Science high school art teacher, Ms. Vaccaro invites students and staff to participate in its Black History Month Art Activity. Participants are tasked with submitting an entry in the form of art or multimedia in one of the following categories:
- Create a short 1 minute video about what Black History means to you
- Create a poster with your favorite quote, message or illustration about Black History
- Create a drawing with a Civil Rights theme
- Create a drawing, poster or video paying tribute to Mary Wilson from The Supremes
Tuesday, February 16th, 2021—Utica Academy of Science will have no school on Tuesday, February 16th through Friday, February 19th for Winter Recess. Classes will resume on Monday, February 22nd. Enjoy this long weekend, Atoms and remember to stay healthy, safe and warm!
Monday, February 15th, 2021—In observance of Presidents’ Day there will be no school on Monday, February 15th. Enjoy your day off, Atoms!
Mid-Winter Break Message from SANY Superintendent Dr. Hayali
As we all get ready to start mid-winter break, I have been reflecting on the ways each and every one of our Atoms have been able to make an impact at school through your academic work, your interactions with your fellow classmates and teachers, but more importantly how you are helping make a difference for those who need it the most in your community. To say I am impressed with all of your efforts is an understatement.
Here are just a few of the ways Atoms are giving back to their communities:
- Earlier this month, Syracuse Academy of Science and Citizenship announced they will be hosting a Band-Aid Drive which will benefit the patients at Golisano Children’s hospital.
- Syracuse Academy of Science High School is hosting a Donation Drive to benefit the Dunbar Center - a local organization that strives to enhance the quality of life, break the cycle of generational poverty and develop racial equality in the greater Syracuse community.
- Finally, the National Honor Society students at Utica Academy of Science High School challenged its fellow classmates and teachers in a Kindness Challenge. Their efforts not only with the Kindness Challenge but with various acts of goodwill, charity and kindness have been recognized by Assemblywoman Buttenschon who acknowledged the Atom’s perseverance and willingness to spread kindness in the middle of a global pandemic. It is with all of these little events, that help make a difference in the lives of others and remind me that we are many Atoms, one Family.
While we all get ready for break, I challenge you to take a moment, pause and reflect on all that you have accomplished thus far not only in this school year, but academically, and in the world around you.
On behalf of everyone at SANY, I want to wish all of our students a happy, healthy, restful, and safe mid-winter break!
Dr. Tolga Hayali
Go Red for Women
Wednesday, February 3rd, 2021—February can be synonymous with Valentine's day but did you know that it is actually American Heart and Go Red for Women month? Throughout the month of February, we are encouraging the Utica Academy of Science students to practice healthy habits, such as exercise. It takes 21 days to change a habit. What are you doing today to help your heart? Click here to watch a quick video and learn ways in which you can live a heart healthy lifestyle.
Monday, February 1st, 2021—It’s not too late to share a little kindness with the world! Utica Academy of Science invites its students to participate in the Kindness Challenge which takes place now through Friday, February 12th. Below are the details on how to participate.
- Take a picture of themselves showing an act of kindness.
- Write a few sentences describing their act of kindness
- Submit your picture and description of the act of kindness on the UAS Google Classroom to enter
A drawing will take place on Friday, February 12th. The winner will receive a pizza delivery!
Monday, February 1st, 2021—Utica Academy of Science is excited to announce it has received an Athletic Grant from The Edwin J. Wadas Foundation, Inc.! With this Athletic Grant, Utica Academy of Science high school will be purchasing a basketball shooting machine. Thank you, Edwin J. Wadas Foundation, Inc. for your generosity and kindness.