What is a charter school?
A charter school is an independently run public school. Charter schools are granted greater flexibility in their operations. However, in return for this flexibility charter schools are must perform at a higher level of standard for test scores and graduation rates. If student performance falls below the standards set in the charter, the school may be closed by the New York State department of Education – Charter School Division. In New York State, charter schools must have their charters renewed every five years.
What grades are offered at Utica Academy of Science Charter School?
The Utica Academy of Science Charter School will serve grades K-2 and 6-12 in the 2019-2010 school year.
What type of diploma can my child receive at Utica Academy of Science Charter School?
Utica Academy of Science Charter School is licensed by the New York State Board of Regents to award the following diplomas upon successful completion of all requirements:
  • New York State Regents Diploma
  • New York State Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation
  • New York State Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation and Honors
Is there a cost to attend your school?
Charter schools are tuition-free, like all public schools. All students, regardless of background, are eligible to submit an application for the lottery.
How many students are in each class at Utica Academy of Science Charter School?
Each class has approximately 22 students with 66 students in each grade. Smaller class size enables more one on one time between the teacher and students. Our charter restricts our enrollment, once we reach our maximum enrollment all applications will be placed on our waiting list.
How can I find out about school closings such as holidays and early dismissal days?
All school closings, holidays and early dismissal days are listed on the school calendar that was issued at the beginning of the school year. If you do not have one, please contact the main office for another copy, or visit our website.
When there is a school closing due to inclement weather conditions, how can I find out if UASCS is closed?
School closings will be announced on all local television stations. If Utica City School District is closed, UASCS will also be closed.
If my child is already in school and there is a closing due to inclement weather or any other school emergency, how can I find out if and when the school will be closing?
Early closings will be announced on all local television stations. You may also call the main office to confirm dismissal time.
What should I do if my child is going to be absent from school?
If your child will be absent due to illness or injury, please call the main office as soon as possible. The office will notify your child’s teachers of the absence. If your child will only miss part of the school day due to an appointment (e.g. doctor, dentist, etc.) Please sign your child into or out of school in the main office. The office will notify your child’s teachers of the absence.
If my child is absent from school, how can I get missed assignments?
  • If your child is absent for only one day all missed assignments may be obtained from each teacher upon your child’s return to school. Your child may also stay after school to work with his/her teachers to make up any missed work.
  • If your child will be absent for several days, arrangements can be made to have work sent home, or picked up in the main office. Please contact the main office for more information.
  • If your child will be absent for an extended period of time (e.g. more than one week due to an injury or extended illness) please contact our guidance department to set up home-bound tutoring.
How can I transfer my child to UASCS?
You must first fill out an application. Applications are available in our main office, via mail, or on our web site.
Click here for the online application.
Do you provide transportation, breakfast, and lunch?
Transportation to our school is provided by your home district. For example, if you live in the Utica City School District, UCSD pupil transportation will bus your child to our school. If you live outside the Utica City School District, you must contact your home school district’s pupil transportation department as some districts require a form to be filled out by the parent regarding transportation. Our school offers free and reduced price lunch to all eligible students. Parents/Guardians are encouraged to fill out an application every year as the standards change.
My child has an IEP or receiving other special services, can you accommodate his/her needs?
Utica Academy of Science accepts all students. We provide Resource Room, as needed on a student's IEP. UCSD provides Speech, PT, and OT services for students with an IEP. At this time, UASCS does not offer smaller class sizes for students with an IEP, such as a 12:1:1, 8:1:1, or smaller as well as Integrated co-teaching classes.
Does Utica Academy of Science Charter School offer tutoring?
Yes, we have a tutoring program at our school. Every student is eligible for extra help on an as needed basis. All of our teacher stay after school for extra help, or for students to make up missed work. A schedule of which teachers are staying on which days will be made available at the beginning of each school year. We do not have a “late bus”. Students who stay after school must either be picked up by a family member.
Is there a school uniform?
Yes. Every student is required to wear the school shirt and navy blue pants (or a skirt of knee length for girls). Jeans and leggings that look like jeans are not allowed. Pants must be dress slacks or cotton twill. School shirts are available in short or long sleeve. Shorts are permitted in warm weather; however, they must be of modest length (no “hot pants” or short shorts). Long sleeve and short sleeve shirts, hooded sweat shirts with the school name, and PE uniform which contains school shorts and white UASCS Atoms shirts are available in the main office.
How do I apply to Utica Academy of Science Charter School?
There are a few ways you can apply to our school. One way is to fill out the online application. Be sure to select the appropriate school year and grade level you are applying for. Another way is to call the school and request an application in the mail. And finally, you may stop by our school any time Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:45pm and pick up an application in our main office. 
Click here for the online application.
Besides an application, what other documents do I need?
Besides a completed application, the following documents are required after acceptance to the school:
  • A copy of the applicant’s birth certificate
  • The most recent report card to verify grade applying for
  • A high school transcript with regents scores (if applicable)
  • Proof of residency in Oneida County (driver’s license, phone bill, etc.)
  • Copy of IEP or 504 plan (if applicable)
  • Copy of immunization record
  • Copy of physical exam (done within one year of the school year applying for)
  • Eligibility
  • Any child who lives in Oneida County is eligible to attend our school. Applicants are accepted on the basis of availability. Current students have first chance at a seat for the following school year.
To Apply for Admission
Applications may be submitted online, in person, or through the mail. Available spots will be filled using a lottery system. Only student files that are complete will be included in the lottery.
Click here for the online application.
Further Information
If you have further questions about enrolling your child at Utica Academy of Science Charter School, please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 315-266-1072 Monday through Friday between 8:30am and 4:45pm.


Utica Academy of Science Charter School is part of Science Academies of New York.

UAS Elementary School

160 School Lane,
Frankfort, NY 13340
Phone: 315-574-3000
Fax: 315-574-3008

UAS J/S High School

160 School Lane,
Frankfort, NY 13340
Phone: 315-266-1072
Fax: 315-266-1073


1409 W Genesee St,
Syracuse, NY 13204
Phone: 315-671-5470
Fax: 315-671-5475


For transportation related questions, please call transportation department in the district you live.
UCSD Transportation: 315-797-4933